I’ve been lugging around my laptop from coffee shop to coffee shop in nothing but a black, barely padded laptop leave for months now. It makes it hard to open a door when you’re carrying your laptop in one arm and iced coffee in the other. DIY laptop bag to the rescue! The whole thing is not actually that hard to sew, its just a glorified pillow and some straps, but the assembly can be a bit complicated. I found this heavy cotton print at Mood Fabrics in NYC, and padded the inside of the case with quilted broadcloth. Materials and instructions after the jump!
- 1 yard quilted broadcloth (for interior padding)
- 1 yard in the cotton of your choice
- 2 1″ D Rings
- 2 1″ Lobster Clasps
- Matching Thread
- Needle for hand sewing
2. Cut a piece of quilted broadcloth to be the same size as laptop sides and flap. Put the right sides together and sew all side seams, leaving a couple inches open to turn right-side out (similar to constructing a pillow). Turn fabric inside out and stitch up the opening.
3. Sew the bag together. Match up laptop side 1 and laptop side 2 inside out. Stitch up side-seams. Turn right-side out so cotton print is faceing outward.
4. Sew the straps. Take the strap piece and fold in half lengthwise, right sides together, press, and stitch lengthwise. Turn right-side out.
5. Take short sides and fold over with a 5/8th inch seam allowance, pin, press and stitch.
6. At this point, we’ll make the two smaller pieces to loop with the lobster claws. Fold in half lengthwise, press, pin and stitch.
7. Take the strap and fold it in half one more time so that the long ends of the strap meet in the middle. put the loops through the lobster clasps and pin on the inside of the strap. Stitch the loops and strap together on the machine by making a seam where they meet.
8. Use your machine to stitch up the strap lengthwise with a zigzag stitch in the middle.
9. Make the D-hook straps. Fold the pieces in half wrong sides together and stitch lengthwise. Turn right-side out. Hem the short sides with a 5/8th in seam. Fold straps again lengthwise so they meet down the middle. Press and pin. Stitch up seam with a zigzag stitch.
10. Put the straps through the D Rings and fold. Stitch by hand on the inside of the laptop bag, do several rows of stitches to secure it.