How to Spray Paint High-Gloss Furniture

Spray Paint High Gloss Furniture

I’ve already done a tutorial about how to paint furniture any color under the sun, but I wanted to do a tutorial about how to paint furniture with just spray paint. I’ve been wanting to restore this coffee table that I inherited from my grandmother a couple of years ago, the finish was far from perfect.

The project itself is fairly simple, it just requires some waiting/watching episodes of Modern Family between coats. Materials and instructions after the jump…

Spray Paint Furniture

Before

So for this project, you’ll need:

• Sand paper
  • Paper Towels
  • Wood Filler
  • Putty Knife or plastic Knife
  • Spray primer
  • Spray paint in the color of your choice
  • High gloss clear enamel

1. Lightly sand the entire piece, wipe down the dust thoroughly with a damp paper towel.

Lightly Sand

Lightly Sand

2. Fill in any knicks or gashes with wood filler and a putty knife. Let dry according to the instructions on the tube, at least 20 mintes. Sand down any excess filler after its dry.

wood filler

Wood Filler

3. Spray two coats of spray primer. Let primer dry 15 minutes and sand lightly between coats.

4. Spray three coats of spray paint in the color of your choice, letting dry 20 minutes and sanding lightly between coats.

5. Spray at least four coats of clear gloss enamel, waiting 15 minutes between coats.

6. Let dry overnight. Then you’re done : )

High Gloss Furniture

Details

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

12 comments on “How to Spray Paint High-Gloss Furniture

1. Maureen Sklaroff on said:

What brand of clear enamel did you use? I tried using some recently and it made the table top very rough. So I am wondering if used a bad brand and there is something better out there….

2. Linda Deaton-Gilbert on said:

Hi Meagan,
    Love the table. What type of spray paint did you use e.g., flat, satin, semi-gloss or gloss?

Thanks!

• Meagan French on said:

Hi Linda,
      Since spray paint is oil based, I’ve never had the same “adhesion issues” as with regular paint. I used a gloss finish, but I’m betting that since you cover the whole thing in gloss high-enamel at the end you could use any finish and it would turn out the same.

Thanks, and please let me know if you have more questions.

3. Amanda on said:

Hi! I have never spray painted anything, so forgive me if my questions are common knowledge. Do you wipe with a damp paper towel between the coats of color, and do you sand/wipe between the gloss coats? Thanks! I have a project I’m finally feeling ready to tackle, and this helps a lot!!
    ~Amanda

• Meagan French on said:

Hi there Amanda, good questions. It’s only necessary to wipe after sanding to get rid of the dust. I would sand lightly between coats of primer and color, but not between coats of gloss (it should be smooth enough by then). Another note, only sand between coats of color and primer, but NOT after the final coat of each. Please let me know if you have more questions, I’m always happy to help.

-Meagan

4. Magdalena O on said:

This is so great. I want to do this on all my shitty old student-days IKEA furniture. But IKEA furniture is often just a wood finish right? So it’s very thin. How can I be sure if it’s solid wood or not to not sand down too much.

Also: in the photo this looks like you did it inside? is there no smell or fumes from the job?

Thank you!

• Meagan French on said:

Hi Magdalena,
      I’ve worked with ikea furniture as well (see my ikea nightstand redo), and you’re right, its just veneer. I would suggest lightly sanding out any imperfections once in the beginning with very fine paper, but not sanding between coats.

As for the spray painting inside, thats actually my basement which has pretty good circulation. I have some neighbors that dislike when I spray paint in the communal garden so I had to find another place to do it. Spraying outside is always preferable because of the fumes and the mess, but if you have to work inside, make sure all the windows and doors are open, cover everything really well, and wear a mask.

Hope that helps, Meagan : )

5. Jinky on said:

curious on the sand paper, is there a specific sand paper you used like if it’s fine or very coarse type of sand paper?
    thanks!